Thursday, January 19, 2012

Greeting Down Syndrome

A few months ago, when I found out that Elina had Down Syndrome, part of me was temporarily ripped from my body. I heard the doctor telling me she was beautiful, but they thought there was a problem. Once the words Down Syndrome hit you, like a wall of crushing wave, you kind of black out. You are hearing words and seeing a baby. Its just wrong. There was no moment to bond, to breathe, and kiss before my world flipped and scrabbled into chaos.






 
and yet... I loved.



Through the fire of pain a deep bond was forged. Three hearts were fused. My heart was broken, but not in vain. It didn't happen overnight, but bit by bit, we moved towards wholeness. 

I am still moving towards wholeness.

We snuggled. Sometimes thats all you can do. Sometimes thats exactly what you need.
We sunk into each other's hearts. 

Our prayer was that we would see her the way God sees her.

I see.












Do we still struggle with Down Syndrome? Yes. Sometimes little moments trigger fears that lay in the future.
We were given some precious advice at the beginning. Take it one moment at a time. Enjoy what you have.

My walk with God isn't as simple to say that I just praised and trusted perfectly all the way. I wrestle with God, daily. I have moments when I question whether he is listening, why he lets things happen when I feel like I am already overwhelmed, what he sees in me.

One person who I believe was sent into my life at that time was Kelle Hampton. God works in whatever way he knows to be best. Sometimes its through a blog. Because, I have never met Kelle, but when I was sifting through information on Down Syndrome back then, I stumbled upon a blog that opened my eyes to the beauty of the small things. Those small things gave me hope, and added up until I found I could stand.

Kelle has a Daughter with an extra chromosome. Nella is a beautuful girl, about to turn two. I wanted to share with you a video that Kelle Hampton has put together to celebrate Down Syndrome and to call us to give to the National Down's Syndrome Society in honor of those in your lives, and the lives of those around you who share this extra chromosome.

Check out her site at www.kellehampton.com


I never gave much thought to Down Syndrome before it was born into my life. I hope that knowing Elina helps you to understand just how loved and beautiful these individuals are.

We will be heading to Kansas City next sunday. I hope to find some time to share more about that. I will be sending some pictures from KC before her procedure.

Thank you for walking with us, and taking a moment to hear our story.

Bubbly Soul
By Claire Imsen

Down. Down is up. Down is up when its her that's down.
She is an avalanche that covered all we know
consuming it all with joy
 like snow

Have you seen half-moon eyes crinkle up on a face weaved in light?
Have you heard heavenly chirps dancing, filling the sky?
Her soul is made of bubbles, it won't stay on the ground
She is the wings of my heart 

She is made of fire, sparks, butterflies

When the wind kicks up her head flies back
she licks the breeze
her sparks catch fire

The abundance of  her DNA rearranged mine
When the world turns an eye and proclaims her down
She only has time for up.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Claire,
    I am so happy and proud of you and your family. She is beautiful :) Stay strong. Happy new year (its vietnamese new years today..) full of love and happiness.. and of course great health. I hope I can meet your family soon.

    Mai Linh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clair,
    I know we haven't officially met, even though I am your sister-in-law. Know that you are loved by "the other Imsens" I am very moved by Elina, can't wait to meet her. I shared the above video on my fb today. I subscribed to your blog as well. Love, Toni

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...